The Aylesbury Club
Good Humour Good Cheer and Good Neighbourhood
In 2011 while researching on the world wide web for the Aylesbury Duck, the then President Ray Ghent came across an auctioneers who was advertising a 6” tall silver goblet with a duck motif. Upon further investigation the goblet turned out to be an award to John Weston Esq as first prize in the Preston & North Lancs Poultry Show for 1857 in the category of Aylesbury Ducks.
The Weston family as we now know were prominent breeders of the Aylesbury Duck and Ray was determined that the goblet should be returned to Aylesbury.
He suggested to all the members that with a small contribution each the goblet could be purchased by The Aylesbury Club ensuring that it would indeed come back to Aylesbury.
Fortunately the members agreed and the purchase was made with the goblet being displayed at the next club meeting for all to see.
Each member was issued with a certificate depicting the goblet and the names of all the contributing members.
To ensure that the goblet could be seen by a wider audience than just the club members it was decided to loan the goblet to the Bucks County Museum. It now goes on show regularly and at each Annual Duck Dinner it is returned to the club for it’s annual ‘in club’ display.
At the first Duck Dinner at which the goblet was on display members were delighted to welcome to the dinner Mrs Ann Humm (formerly Weston) the daughter of William Herbert Julian Weston the last of the Weston family to breed ducks in Aylesbury.
Research continues into the Aylesbury Duck and the town’s duck breeders so if you should be aware of any relevant artefact that portrays the Aylesbury Duck then please contact the Club Secretary.